Re: Replace with CR

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Replace with CR
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 17:24:30 +0200

Andrea Venturoli <ml.diespammer@netfence.it> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I'm using emacs on several FreeBSD boxes (text or X version).
> For several years I've been able to replace any character with a
> newline, by doing (e.g. with ';'):
> M-x replace-string(enter);(enter)^Q(enter)(enter)

Only, there's no such "enter" thing.  So you are a cold liar.

> The line
> a;b;c
> would become
>
> Now the same procedure does not work anymore as the (enter)
> immediately after ^Q does not move to a newline, but enters ^M.
>
> I.e. what I get is "a^Mb^Mc".

There's a key labelled "Return" that enters a CARRIAGE RETURN ASCII
control code whose value is 13.  This value can also be obtained with
Control  and the 13th letter, M, hence the representation as ^M.  If you
don't like CR, then don't use the RET key.

> How can I restore the previous behavior, or, failing that, replace
> something with a newline?

On unix, newline is represented by the ASCII code LINE FEED, value 10,
which can be entered using Control and the 10th letter, J.
Then type: C-q C-j

> I don't know when and why this stopped working.

It stopped working when you lost those neurons when you banged your head
on the floor.  Leave backflips to professionnal acrobats, not for your
youtube channel.