RE: help in same window + colorful help + Blümchen

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: help in same window + colorful help + Blümchen
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 10:04:01 -0700 (PDT)

> It's not a case of "there could be", there already is:
>
>   You can customize the variable font-lock-maximum-decoration to
>   alter the amount of fontification applied by Font Lock mode, for
>   major modes that support this feature. The value should be a number
>   (with 1 representing a minimal amount of fontification; some modes
>   support levels as high as 3); or t, meaning “as high as possible”
>   (the default).

Yes.  Unfortunately, there are *very few* places where Emacs code
provides more than one fontification level.  And the Emacs maintainer
is not particularly fond of the existence and use of levels.  (He will
perhaps chime in, especially if I misrepresented his position on this.)

(FWIW, Dired+ provides a second fontification level for Dired.)