Re: coding system and gdb

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: coding system and gdb
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 10:11:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 11:17:42 PM UTC+5:30, tomas wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 09:23:39AM -0700, Rusi wrote:
> > Some students of mine are working on a hand-compiled python and debugging
> > with gdb in emacs.
> > Unicode characters dont seem to be flowing properly between (inferior)
> > python and
> > emacs; seems to work better when python is started outside emacs.
> >
> > Is there some process-related-coding-system that is to be set for gdb?
>
> Locale from the environment? I.e. the value of LANG?

As you seem to have guessed it was not one of the UTF-8 variants.
[I could have sworn I had set that right the last time I met them...Seem to be
losing my memory...
]

And what exactly is the difference between LANG and LANGUAGE?
I am just assuming all the LC_* can be left unset (and inferred?)

Its all a bit arcane to me!