Re: emacs OSX initial frame does not show initial line

From: Alan
Subject: Re: emacs OSX initial frame does not show initial line
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 07:23:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 11:03:27 PM UTC-5, Donald Rozenberg wrote:
> I am running emacs 24.5.1 on an Apple Mini with 4 GB of memory and Yosemite.
> When the initial frame is displayed the top line is not present no matter
> what I put in buffer.  If I create a new frame the top line is visible.  I
> could just create a new frame and abandon the original, but that is
> unattractive.
>
> As emacs starts a smaller window appears at the upper left of the screen and
> includes icons.  That window quickly disappears and is replaced by a frame
> located, colored, sized, and using my font according to my .emacs and sports
> no icons but it also does not display the first line of the the scratch
> buffer.  I am happy with the appearance of the window except for the missing
> line. The missing line persists no matter what I load into the buffer.
>
> If I then create a new frame, with the same dimensions specified in my
> .emacs, the contents are nearly the same as the previous frame but moved down
> one line to display the first line but missing the bottom line. Also, the new
> frame appears to be one line smaller.  I think I probable have done something
> mistaken in my .emacs.
>
> It appears that the original frame is 81x44 while the new frame is 81x43
> whilst my .emacs specifies a height of 45 for both initial-frame-alist and
> default-frame-alist. This is very confusing!
>
> I would appreciate any suggestion about how to make the initial frame appear
> as expected.
>
> Thanks in Advance

This may be totally irrelevant, but just now I was poking around and found the
following:

 Ns Use Native Fullscreen
   Non-nil means to use native fullscreen on OSX >= 10.7. Hide
   Nil means use fullscreen the old (< 10.7) way.  The old way works better with
   multiple monitors, but lacks tool bar.  This variable is ignored on OSX <
10.7.
   Default is t for OSX >= 10.7, nil otherwise.

This was in customization buffer:

Ns group: GNUstep/Mac OS X specific features.

which is a subgroup of Environment.

I am using "GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS
apple-appkit-1265.21) of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org" with OS X
Yosemite 10.10.4, on a Mac Book Air 13 (mid 2012)