Re: emacsclient not integrated into modern window systems

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: emacsclient not integrated into modern window systems
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 22:06:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 9:58:56 AM UTC+5:30, Vaidheeswaran C wrote:
> On Sunday 12 July 2015 08:27 AM, Rusi wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 12:30:02 AM UTC+5:30, Vaidheeswaran C wrote:
>
> > http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18431
>
>     From http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18431#8
>
>     > Error (warning) message as follows is given:
>     >
>     > emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
>     > To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
>     >
>     > After printing which, it starts ok, editing the file!!
>
>     It it is letting you know that it tried to contact an existing
>     Emacs instance but failed, and it shares the message text with the
>     non --alternate-editor case. Yes, the message could be
>     special-cased for --alternate-editor, but it doesn't seem like a
>     big deal.
>
> LOL.
>
> Emacsclient talks like my wife.  When it says one thing, it means
> totally different thing.  My wife is just my wife and not a big deal
> to me, whatever she says to me.  That is how I deal with her.
>
> IMNSHO, "not a big deal", is not an argument but an emotional appeal.
> If I were in your place, I would feel unwelcome and reluctant as well.
>
> Why is it hard for you to say "No big deal!" and move on.  "No big
> deal!" is panacea for all the ailments.
>
> "(All this is) No big deal" -- That is what Upanishads say anyway,
> don't you agree?

:-)
Well really... This is not a big deal
If the devs who handle 10,000 more big deals want to relegate this to a wishlist
its really quite ok.

However what this obscures is the clash between emacs-philosophy and
'more-modern' system philosophies.
The classic emacs way of doing things is to live mostly inside emacs.
The modern way is to have a concert of various apps working in cooperation.

Unfortunately as soon as this is enunciated someone or other will pipe up:
"The emacs way is BETTER or even THE ONLY WAY"
which is (to me) just too tiresome an argument to get into.

Just for context, the kids I deal with are 20 year olds who know nothing about
anything other than the modern way.
They (and I) have no problem if there is a reasonable path from the modern way
to the more classic way..

And to me finding a desktop file somewhere on the net, almost none of which
I understand, and setting it up somewhere may be a necessary evil, thanks to
it falling between stools of emacs-devs and distro-packagers jurisdictions.

To a contemporary kid however its just one more data point that emacs is not
really usable.