Re: Message mode and emacsclient

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Message mode and emacsclient
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 22:50:36 -0700

On 2015-07-07 14:30 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> To read my mail these days I use mutt over a ssh connection to the mail
> server.  On the mail server I always have an emacs --daemon running, and
> I tell mutt to call emacsclient as the external editor when I need to
> compose a message.  I use the predictable temporary filename pattern in
> auto-mode-alist to put the client buffer into message-mode (more
> precisely, gnus-article-edit-mode which inherits almost everything from
> message-mode).
>
> All this works almost perfectly, with one annoying nit.  Immediately
> after I land in emacs with the temporary file loaded, if I try one of
> the message keybindings to move to a header field (for instance, C-c C-f
> C-s to move to the Subject: field), after the C-c C-f emacs barfs with
> "C-c C-f is undefined".  But when I try the same key combination again,
> it works!  And it also works if I do anything else in the buffer first,
> such as C-g.  It is as if emacs was in some kind of temporary mode like
> those modes used in the minibuffer and had to quit the temporary mode
> first to allow normal editing.
>
> Does this sound in the least bit familiar?  My hunch is that it may not
> be specific to message-mode but may be a more generic buglet with
> emacsclient and multilevel keymaps.

I have now tried to do this with pure message-mode, just to be sure the
few additional goodies gnus-article-edit-mode strings on aren't to
blame.  The problem stays the same.

There seems to be some kind of timeout.  What I mean is, after this
happens, I force it to behave, I compose my message and send it off, if
I go compose another message within a minute or so, it works fine from
the start.  But if I wait longer, it happens again.

I am stumped.  Anyone?