Re: emacsclient not integrated into modern window systems

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: emacsclient not integrated into modern window systems
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 09:21:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 8:58:07 PM UTC+5:30, Vaidheeswaran C wrote:
> On Sunday 12 July 2015 08:07 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > There's nothing there except polite explanation of the issue.
>
> "Not a big deal" is a colloquial expression.  The text books that we
> learn English from doesn't teach us what this expression means.  When
> this is the case, we need to rely on our subjective judgement to
> decide what particular turn of phrase means.  It is also a common
> experience that a phrase that is polite in a conversation is deemed
> otherwise in other cultures.
>
> When talking across cultures, it is generally considered a good
> practice to err on the conservative side.  It wouldn't have been a big
> deal if the bug was just labelled as Minor.

Hey Vaidheeswaran!
We need not personalize (and cuturalize and nationalize and...) this.
Clearly the *bug* was not welcome in the sense that it is accepted as a bug
but not having sufficient importance to correct it.  That does not spill over
to the *persons* involved

Analogy: Many large projects have code norms. And large enough (and old enough)
projects violate these norms left-right-n-center.
And then some OCD guy will come up and want to correct all the indentation or
misnamings or what-have-you.
So then the others have to tell this super well-meaning but misguided person:
"Thanks but kindly lay off!"

More real example:
Trying to hack inside the python sources I found a bunch of CRLF issues.
[Yeah this is something I am OCD about -- Ive seen 1000s of lines changed
because someone used another editor]

Asking around on the mailing lists, people suggested a bug report.
So I filed https://bugs.python.org/issue24507
Then someone suggested making a whole dependency-tree of CRLF bugs.
Now even for an CRLF-OCD this seemed a bit excessive, but I complied...
With https://bugs.python.org/issue24513
which was forthwith closed
[last I knew there is a pdf file checked in as text!]

And in that analogy as here the real issue gets forgotten: things like desktop
files and the emacsclient paradigm generally are neglected by falling in a
no-mans-land between distro packager and upstream devs