Re: How to speed up cutting & pasting from/to emacs?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: How to speed up cutting & pasting from/to emacs?
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 16:05:29 +0100

Thanks for this Emanuel, extremely interesting and I've had a quick play
in between doing my housework, and I'm hoping to have a more serious
look later in the week, but at the moment I'm under pressure for writing
my book, plus ensuring I have all the necessary paperwork  and stuff for
two hospital visits this week. So I will get back to it in due course.

Thanks
Sharon.

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> Primarily 'zim' and pasting to and from 'JabRef',
>> I'm mostly creating bibtex records from a published
>> bibliography on an article on the web, which I've
>> opened in w3m. I would use 'eew' if I could only
>> find out how to use tabs with it!
>
> When you say w3m, you mean Emacs-w3m, right? If not,
> look for it in the Debian repos or Ubuntu ditto if you
> are using that. On Debian, it is in a package called
> "w3m-el-snapshot".
>
> Emacs-w3m is more mature/seasoned than eew so probably
> it has more power at this point. But such things can
> change quickly.
>
> There are tabs in Emacs-w3m, for sure. Here are some
> config for those [1] - and in the directory below,
> more on Emacs-w3m in general.
>
>> By "speed-up" I mean that I have to wait for emacs
>> to catch up with where I've pasted something.
>
> What do you mean - "catch up"?
>
>> Yes, emacs as a GUI along with using the mouse.
>> Knowing that "Openbox" is similar to "fluxbox",
>> exactly *what is* your command in your "keys" page
>> to access emacs again please? I know how to *start*
>> a program, but not how to *access* a currently
>> running program.
>
> I don't have any experience with fluxbox, but all
> civilized WMs can be interacted with using the program
> wmctrl. This should be in your repos as well, so
> get it.
>
> It works like this:
>
> 1) Type 'xman &' and 'xcalc &'. They should appear as
> two neat little windows (for display purposes ONLY as
> I wouldn't recommend using them for anything else).
>
> 2) Type 'wmctrl -l'. If it works you should see
> something like this:
>
>     0x00a00013  0 nl106-137-147 Calculator
>     0x0080000e  0 nl106-137-147 xman
>
> If it doesn't work, it means fluxbox is incompatible
> with wmctrl, and this method won't work. (I don't
> think that will happen.)
>
> By the way, here is a useful alias:
>
>     alias wins='wmctrl -l'
>
> 3) Type 'wmctrl -a xman'. The window of xman
> should get into focus. Now, try to get to xcalc the
> same way. But not exactly the same way! Remember the
> output of 'wins' - xcalc wasn't refered to as "xcalc"
> but as "Calculator", i.e. that what is appearing in
> the title bar of the window of the program. Other than
> that it is the same.
>
> 4) Now install xbindkeys, and start it with
> 'xbindkeys'. Confirm that it runs with
>
>     ps -e | grep xbindkeys
>
> (Later, to make it run each time you start X, put
> 'xbindkeys &' in ~/.xinitrc.)
>
> 5) Last, set up the shortcuts in ~/.xbindkeysrc.
>
> "wmctrl -a Calculator"
>   alt+k
>
> "wmctrl -a xman"
>   alt+w
>
> 6) Perhaps one can refresh xbindkeys somehow... If you
> find out, tell me. If not, type 'pkill xbindkeys',
> confirm it doesn't run, then run it again
> with 'xbindkeys'.
>
> 7) Now hit Alt+k for xcalc, and Alt+w for xman!

> [...]

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.5.50.2