launch a program in an arbitrary frame

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: launch a program in an arbitrary frame
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:21:06 -0500

A newbie question (getting more hooked on Emacs):

I often run ERC to connect to IM services via a local Bitlbee daemon.
It works best running in its own frame, so I know when people are
talking to me without having to flip through all my buffers.  (A window
doesn't seem to be sufficient, since Gnus keeps changing the window
layout to its Summary/Article split, and the only way I've found to deal
with that is to keep programs whose layout I care about in separate
frames.)

Anyway, it's redundant to have to manually put ERC in its own frame
every time I launch it.

I have somethink like this bound to a key:

  (erc :server "localhost")

Some programs have the ability to launch in a new frame built into them,
but shouldn't you be able to do that with almost any program?  If I
wanted to run the above in an 80x24 frame at a particular X coordinate,
how would I say that in Elisp?

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent