Re: launch a program in an arbitrary frame

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: Re: launch a program in an arbitrary frame
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 19:03:34 -0500

> Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> writes:
>
>> the whole point of Emacs is to keep it running and
>> accumulate as much of what you work with on disk as
>> possible, in memory.
>
> Is *that* the whole point of Emacs?

Well, I suppose I should say that everything I've read from anyone about
it so far has led me in that direction, and from observing the way Emacs
works, I get the impression they're right.  I don't have a citation
handy, but if I had a nickel for every time I've heard someone say that
constantly quitting and relaunching Emacs gets rid of valuable
accumulated information from your session; that people who launch Emacs
as a sub-process to use it as a text editor and then kill it are missing
the point; that some people apparently feel so strongly about it that
emacsclient was created (and before that, gnuclient), just to make sure
you'd never have to spawn Emacs as a disposable process for
anything...etc, etc.  The whole thing seems setup from the ground up to
accumulate buffers.  The command to kill the buffer you're currently
looking at (kill-this-buffer) doesn't even have a key binding unless you
give it one yourself.

>From all of this, yes, I've definitely gotten the impression over the
years that once you decide something is important enough load from disk,
Emacs decides it's important enough to hang onto in case you want it
again, and you have to be very deliberate about making it not do that.
It does seem to be Emacs' whole paradigm -- caching your work for later.

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent