Re: C-= ?

From: Vaidheeswaran C
Subject: Re: C-= ?
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 09:07:35 +0530

On Sunday 19 July 2015 12:02 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> What is the macro/code or whatever that shows the tree of a file, i.e.
> an outline of the file showing all its section headings, chapter
> headings, etc in a separate buffer above your working buffer, and is
> called by "C-=". I did use it very successfully, but I overwrote its key
> sequence but now want to re-associate it and use it again. Can you help
> please?
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.

You are looking for

    M-x org-goto

C-c C-j runs the command org-goto (found in org-mode-map), which is an
interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘org.el’.

It is bound to C-c C-j, <menu-bar> <Org> <Navigate Headings> <Jump>.

(org-goto &optional ALTERNATIVE-INTERFACE)

Look up a different location in the current file, keeping current
visibility.

When you want look-up or go to a different location in a
document, the fastest way is often to fold the entire buffer and
then dive into the tree.  This method has the disadvantage, that
the previous location will be folded, which may not be what you
want.

This command works around this by showing a copy of the current
buffer in an indirect buffer, in overview mode.  You can dive
into the tree in that copy, use org-occur and incremental search
to find a location.  When pressing RET or ‘Q’, the command
returns to the original buffer in which the visibility is still
unchanged.  After RET it will also jump to the location selected
in the indirect buffer and expose the headline hierarchy above.

With a prefix argument, use the alternative interface: e.g. if
‘org-goto-interface’ is 'outline use 'outline-path-completion.