Re: starting the emacs daemon using init.org?

From: Barry Fishman
Subject: Re: starting the emacs daemon using init.org?
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 08:42:28 -0400

On 2015-07-20 12:28:26 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:
>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>>
>>> I've been thinking about running emacs as a daemon
>>> to quicken my loadup times and also able to recover
>>> quickly when emacs crashes and restarts. But how?
>>     1. Does your Emacs really take that long to start?
>
> 'fraid so! I've never actually timed it, but I am sitting waiting for it
> to be in a useable state.
>>
>>     2. In which situations does it crash?
>
> Usually when I'm writing in latex, and suddenly, in the blink of an eye,
> its gone! So far I haven't lost any data on restarting. but it is an
> annoyance.

I can't remember the last time Emacs crashed on me.  I do tend to have
issues with mistyping so I have disabled my most common reasons for my
Emacs to disappear.  First I never need to background Emacs from the
keyboard:

;;; Re-establish C-z prefix
(defvar my-control-map (make-sparse-keymap))
(define-key global-map [(control z)] my-control-map)

With gives me another key to put my own bindings.  I then make sure
any C-x C-c isn't an accident:

;;; Require confirmation and rebind C-x C-c appropriately
(defun my-exit-from-emacs ()
  (interactive)
  (if (yes-or-no-p "Do you want to exit ")
      (save-buffers-kill-terminal)))
(define-key global-map [(control x) (control c)] 'my-exit-from-emacs)

Since disappearing is common enough to be an issue you might try to
investigate further with the usual:

(setq debug-on-error t)
(setq debug-on-quit t)
(setq debug-on-signal t)

to find out what is really happening, and consider making a bug report.

--
Barry Fishman