Re: starting the emacs daemon using init.org?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: starting the emacs daemon using init.org?
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 20:41:29 +0200

On 2015-07-20, at 19:46, John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Wow I wonder what you all are doing in your init files!!
>>
>> My init time is 1.8 seconds...!
>
> 4.3 seconds on Windows and 2.5 on Linux here. Both machines are
> reasonably spec'd (e.g. quad core i5 from a couple years ago) but
> definitely not monsters. And I have almost 100 packages installed and
> 3,600 SLOC in my init files.
>
> If you're not using `with-eval-after-load' (or `eval-after-load'), I
> highly recommend it.

I deliberately do not use any deferred loading of packages etc. - if
I end up autoloading something, I usually put a (require '...) in my
init.el so that Emacs doesn't pause when loading e.g. AUCTeX.  I very
much prefer longer startup time than pauses during work.

Also, I use a few large libraries - Org, Icicles, AUCTeX...

And I have a pretty low-end (about $150 three years back) netbook, which
is more than enough for Elisp coding, email, Org and LaTeX.  Also, long
startup-time doesn't bother me at all - I often have M-x emacs-uptime of
several days or even more than a week.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski