Re: difficulty entering balance mode

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: difficulty entering balance mode
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 13:43:12 -0700

On 2015-07-25 14:53 -0400, Haines Brown wrote:

> I've reduced things to elementals. That is, I do $ emacs -q -l
> .emacs-test. This .emacs-test file has in it only these lines:
>
>   (autoload 'balance-mode "balance")
>    (setq auto-mode-alist
>      (append '(("\\.bal\\'" . balance-mode)) auto-mode-alist))
>
> When I do M-x f to find .balance.bal, now it opens on first try, but
> emacs does enter balance mode. I get this error:
>
>   file mode specification error: (file-error) "Cannot open load file "no
>   such file or directory" "balance".
>
> This is indeed no such file "balance". Rather there is .balance.bal.

Emacs cannot find the lisp module for some reason.  The real file name
would be "balance.el" or "balance.elc".  Since I don't know what OS
you're on, I can't advise how to look for it.

When it loads a module, emacs looks for one of those files in
directories which are in the lisp variable load-path.  Your problem may
be that somehow the directory containing balance.el isn't in load-path
when your first try.  But in this test scenario the reason is probably
simply that load-path isn't set as it is when you eval your normal init
code.

Then again, it is very strange that it works the 2nd time.  Hmmm.
Perhaps a recursive load dependency problem?  Unfortunately I don't know
what balance mode is (it's not on my system) so I can't try to repro in
detail.