Re: Alt-x not working

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Alt-x not working
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 21:56:40 +0100

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Steve Graham <solitary.wanderer52@gmail.com> writes:
>>> (global-set-key (read-kbd-macro
>>>     "<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>")
>>>     'execute-extended-comment)
>>
>> The Escape x worked great!
>
> Yes, instead of Alt-x you can first press ESC then x.  You can also use
> Ctrl-[ instead of ESC, it's often more convienent since it's nearer.
>
> As other have said, it seems you OS has remapped your keyboard in a
> strange way.

Another suggestions.  On MS Windows there are global keybindings that
change the input method.  Sometimes you can hit these accidentally.  On
my computer at work I kept switching it to Chinese.  I solved this by
changing registry entries to disable the keybindings.

You could have accidentally enabled one of these modes.  There's
sometimes a little pair of characters in the right of the taskbar.  It
says "EN" or "CH".  On recent versions of Windows you have to enable it
to see it.

BR,
Robert Thorpe