A valid example of kbd macros - take that, Emanuel! ;-)

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: A valid example of kbd macros - take that, Emanuel! ;-)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 10:42:50 +0200

Hi all,
hi Emanuel!

The last exchange about F3 and macros reminded me that you wanted an
example of valid kbd macro usage, not easily accomplished by writing
Elisp.  So here you are.  Some time ago I had to send 15 emails to 15
different people.  (You can imagine 150 instead of 15.)  I had their
addresses in an Org table, and in another column I had some data which
should be present in the emails.  (See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_merge.)  You could find the Elisp
functions related to Org and mu4e (or Gnus, or whatever you use), but it
was *a lot* faster to record a kbd macro copying some fragments from the
table, starting mu4e, inserting the letter template, yanking the data in
right positions and stopping for me to review the email (I had to
manually change a few of them).  It took me 5 minutes (including
preparing the template and recording the macro!) to send
(semi-)personalized messages to 15 people.  It would be even faster if
I didn't want to review each email and edit some of them, of course.
Take that! :-)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski