Re: How to bind isearch-repeat-forward to F3 in a certain mode only?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to bind isearch-repeat-forward to F3 in a certain mode only?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 05:15:15 +0200

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> Key combinations involving a modifier (sometimes
> called "chords") are appreciably harder to perform,
> and more likely to lead to RSI, than sequences of
> single keystrokes.

Not necessarily! It all depends.

For example, I have M-o to do

    (defun other-window-or-split ()
      (interactive)
      (when (= 1 (count-windows)) (split-window-vertically))
      (other-window 1) )

which I do all the time. If you put your fingers into
proper positions - real hackers don't have to do this,
because they always have them there anyway - and look
down, observe what minimal motion of the left thumb,
and right ring finger, in order to hit this shortcut,
and the *zero* hand motion.

Compared to some single keys - in particular:

    a s d f j k l ;

then yes, M-o is barely slower and less ergonomic, but
compared to many, many single keys M-o is much better.
And I don't only mean the F* keys; the numeric keypad;
the arrow keys; the Home, End, etc. keys; and all that
which are obviously incomparably worse to fingers,
hands, neck, and eyes. No, M-o is also better than the
digit keys, most keys below your left hand (i.e., z,
x, c, with the exception of v which is comparable to
M-o); and so on.

So if those prefix keys are placed wisely, they
shouldn't be thought of as unergonomic.

This file contains a lot, but if you search for
"prefix" you see how a new one can be setup easily and
thereafter used like the standard ones.

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/global-keys.el

--
underground experts united