Re: gnus, Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: gnus, Maximum buffer size exceeded
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 11:11:35 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 03:46:33 -0400
>
> I wouldn't encourage people to use it: it increases the memory usage
> of Emacs (and hence slows it down by eating up your caches more
> quickly), but only increases the maximum buffer size by a fairly
> small amount.

2GB vs 512MB doesn't sound like "fairly small amount" to me, more like
a factor of 4 and 1.5GB of absolute increment, not a small deal.

I agree that a 64-bit build is better (and spent some non-trivial
effort myself making that work at the time), but I don't agree with
discouraging users of 32-bit systems from using the wide-int build,
especially if switching to a different system is not an easy
alternative.