Re: use Elisp to improve your Elisp - some code issues

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: use Elisp to improve your Elisp - some code issues
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 13:24:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, 31 July 2015 01:24:24 UTC+1, Emanuel Berg  wrote:
> I just wrote some Elisp which can be used on a set of
> files to identify for example the construct
>
>     (if a a b)
>
> if you want to replace those for
>
>     (or a b)
>
> See the comments for the issues!

This is really great! We have plans to do something similar in ENSIME (for
Scala, and soon Java, development).

The Scala/Java support is of no relevance to this group, so I shall just say
that we have an external process that we communicate with and it can provide
async suggestions of code that can be changed.

It sounds like what you're doing here and we aim to achieve (albeit it a long
burn) would benefit from a common interface of "code suggestion" --- both a
format for the changes (universal diff?) and the method to show and accept the
changes.

FYI we're tracking this on our github issue tracker
https://github.com/ensime/ensime-server/issues/848 so please keep us updated if
you come up with anything reusable. This issue is for the server side support,
but the data that is returned is going to have to be driven by the text editor
requirements.

Best regards,
Sam