Re: using use-package

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: using use-package
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 18:34:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 10:54:33 PM UTC+5:30, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2015-08-05 09:34 -0700, Rusi wrote:
>
> > > That way lies Ubuntu - an ancient African word meaning "much simpler
> > > than the simplest possible".
>
> > I get that you are making a joke... But I dont get it :-(
> > Is it that...
> >  - Using use-package oversimplifies?
>
> Maybe not right now, but promoting it as the one and true way of
> configuring emacs would eventually lead to a state where some things are
> no longer possible, or (and this is the Ubuntu way) they are _officially
> supposed_ to be possible, but because hardly anybody does them they're
> untested and unsupported by the developers.

Strange logic.
Putting in the core is rather some distance from promoting as the "one true
way"

Analogy: Some ifs can be shortened to when/unless/and etc but not all.
Should when/unless/and be banned since people forget how to use if?

> Emacs is full of interdependencies by its nature.  Things like adaptive
> fill, global font lock, imenu, work slightly differently in each mode
> depending on configuration of that mode.  There's a plausible argument
> that this is a misdesign, but it is far too deeply ingrained now to
> change, IMO.
>
> Also the use of dynamic scoping plays into this.  Much code was
> intentionally written so that the way to change its behavior (sometimes
> the only way) is to let-bind a global variable.  case-fold is a classic
> example.  It is not clear to me how partitioning configuration into
> packages can deal with this.

Old users of emacs forget that many potential new users never cross
the potential barrier to becoming actual users because of initial (includes
 init!) complexity