Re: set-face-font and custom-set-font, DejaVu, fonts for hebrew

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: set-face-font and custom-set-font, DejaVu, fonts for hebrew
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 10:18:47 -0400

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>    > It doesn't and that font is not bold.
>    > This is a bold font:
>
>    > (set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans Mono-14:bold")
>
>    > (set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans Mono-14")
>
> Thanks,
>
> but in my environment (set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans Mono-12:bold")
> gives
> the font in 12pt with very thin letters while
> (set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans Mono-14")
> gives a larger font, with thicker letters
> and

Font changes are subject to the fonts installed on your machine.
As far as I know, you get what the system considers the closest match.

Whatever the system has for 14 point is going to look bolder (thicker)
than a smaller sized font.

For me, these fonts:

(set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans Mono-12:bold")
(set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans Mono-12")

are different, but I have to be careful the order I test in.
I think leaving the font weight unspecified leaves the current
setting unchanged, but I tried using :normal without effect.

> (set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans Mono-14:bold")
> with still thicker letters. That is a bit confusing.
>
> So it boils down to:
> what is the equivalent of
>
> (custom-set-faces
>    '(default ((t (:family "DejaVu Sans Mono" :foundry "unknown" :slant
>                         normal :weight normal :height 143 :width normal)))))
>
> Using set-face-font?

(set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans
Mono:bold:foundry=unknown:slant=normal:wieght=normal:height=143:width=normal")

But when I test this, things like the height don't seem to do anything...
Okay I did some testing, in a fresh start Emacs, that does change the
font.  You might want to do:

export FC_DEBUG=1  (or 2)
emacs

then change the fonts.
In the starting terminal you get information about the font matching process.

--
Dan Espen