Re: Are two symbols `equal' iff they are `eq'?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Are two symbols `equal' iff they are `eq'?
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 17:10:06 +0200

On 2015-08-09, at 16:05, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> And inspecting the code didn't help me a lot - that was the second thing
>> I tried (the first being checking the docs), but I didn't understand
>> it.  It seems there's a case dispatch, but I didn't see the branch
>> responsible for symbols.
>
> I guess you missed the "then" branch of the "if (depth > 10)" clause.

???

The "then" part seems to contain the "case" I mentioned.  After that,
there is this:

 tail_recurse:
  QUIT;
  if (EQ (o1, o2))
    return 1;

>From the capitalization I would guess that QUIT is a C macro.  From its
name I would guess that anything after it is irrelevant;-).  Well,
joking aside, I found its definition in the source; do I get it right
that it quits if something like C-g happens?  If yes, I'd be curious why
it is here.  Apart from that, it seems that I was right: `equal' for
symbols just calls `eq' (C EQ, not Lisp eq, to be more precise).

So I guess I found the answer.  Thanks for your help!

> Michael.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski