Re: using use-package

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: using use-package
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 09:14:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 6:47:30 PM UTC+5:30, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Are you serious Stefan?
>
> Not always.  Why?
>
> > Here's a 3-line init:
> > ---------------------
> > (add-to-list 'package-archives
> >              '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/";))
> > (package-initialize)
> > ---------------------
> > Start emacs -Q with that and I get:
> > Symbol's value as variable is void: package-archives
> > Precede by a (require 'package) and error vanishes
>
> You can get rid of the error by swapping the two statements as well.
> Not sure what is your point.

Generic Point:
Functional programming is neat; imperative programming is a mess
One basic property of FP is that things should not be more order sensitive
than the minimum (data-dependency) required
When you say
 (setq foo-variable t)
 (foo-mode 1)

should work *for a properly written* foo mode you are saying basically the same
thing. However...

Specific point:
By not having package-archive as an autoload, those two statements become
more order dependent than they (seemingly) need be.
[There may be all sorts of other reasons I dont understand of course.
Not saying its a bug; just that it is fragile].

And if core emacs functionality can be thus fragile is it realistic to expect
random packages to satisfy all the new/changing/confusing best practices?

IOW you folks should give a serious consideration to putting (something like)
use-package (better req-package) in the core