Re: using use-package

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: using use-package
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 23:32:28 +0100

>> No, you are missing (several) points of use-package.
>
> I didn't miss those points.

Apologies.

> I was just pointing out that use-package won't make it into core as is
> because too much of it provides ways to do things which should be done
> some other way.

So, :load-path, you have a valid point, although this is still useful.
Maybe :mode also (although it is hard for some modes to be exhaustive
about extensions). And :command. I think I only use these when I use my
own packages.

But :config, :init, :defer, :disabled and :ensure are really fantastic.
And with use-package the way that it is now, if these were in core, it
would be a big boon. The others could be separated into a secondary
package if necessary and ELPA'd. This could be loaded by use-package
without bootstrap issues, I think. This would also work for req-package
users.

As always, am willing to help if you and the use-package devs are
interested in this.

Phil