Re: How the backquote and the comma really work?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: How the backquote and the comma really work?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:01:45 +0200

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> funny enough, this was discussed recently on the PicoLisp mailing list
> too, and I was surprised to find out that in Emacs Lisp 'Read Macros'
> like backquote/comma rather seem to work at run time, while the
> PicoLisp equivalents quote/backquote work at read time.

I don't know PicoLisp, but looking at
http://software-lab.de/doc/ref.html, it indeed seems that backquote in
PicoLisp is something very different than in Common Lisp or Emacs Lisp
or Scheme.  AFAICT a backquoted expression really seems to be evaluated
by the reader there.

> How does this work in Emacs Lisp? Is the backquote/comma actually a
> function call at runtime?
>
> [I did not follow the whole discussion, I hope I don't ask something
> already answered]

Yes, just read the thread ;-)

Michael.