Re: First split horizontally, and then vertically

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: First split horizontally, and then vertically
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 18:06:46 +0200

>> which values should I put into
>> (setq-default split-width-threshold  ?)
>> (setq-default split-height-threshold ?)
>> so that Emacs first splits windows horizontally (until the limit) and only
>> then splits them vertically.
>

> I also prefer vertical splitting, I have it set up so that no windows are
> split horizontally unless I do it myself:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>  (setq split-height-threshold nil)
>  (setq split-width-threshold 150)
> #+END_SRC
>
> You can also try setting split-height-threshold to 0, to make a vertical
> split more likely than a horizontal one.

That's the problem.  I've tried this already, and as soon as I have
some integer (0, for example) in `split-height-threshold' the first
split by `split-window-sensibly' is vertical one, i.e.

+-----+
|     |
+-----+
|     |
+-----+

but I want a horizontal split first

+--+--+
|  |  |
|  |  |
|  |  |
+--+--+

maybe even further (if the size of the monitor permits)

+--+--+--+
|  |  |  |

and only then vertical splits should start.

Concerning

(setq split-height-threshold nil)

as you said, this one forbids vertical splits completely which is also
something I don't like.

Kind regards,
Alexander