Re: using use-package

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: using use-package
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 11:20:02 -0700

On 2015-08-12 10:52 -0700, Rusi wrote:

> A more emacsish analogy:
>
> Q: Should one indent C programs like this <eg in gnu style>?
>   Or this <eg in K&R style>?
>
> Answer1 : Sensible people only use gnu-style
> Answer2 : Choose what you like. Set it in c-default-style
>
> Which answer is more in the spirit of emacs?

I don't really have a horse in this race (I'm keeping my Emacs 23, and
I'm sure *-package won't be ported to it), but I don't see the analogy.

Stefan is saying that many packages do things _wrong_.  There are good
objective criteria for right and wrong in Elisp coding, unlike with
indentation styles.

I'll offer a different analogy, from OS packaging.  OS packages (debs
for example) also often have soft dependencies and have to perform some
tasks on installation to integrate well with the system.  Some are
broken and don't follow the system policy.  What happens in that
situation, is there a user level "clean up" package to work around it?
No, the broken package is tagged and fixed.

At least I _think_ this is what Stefan means ... correct me if
necessary.