Re: How to quote a list of functions?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to quote a list of functions?
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 01:55:55 +0200

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
writes:

> Definitely not.
>
> The notion of type should still exist in the mind of
> the programmer, if not in the compiler!
>
> The first parameter of put is of type symbol
> (function x) returns an object of type function.
> While it's true that in emacs lisp, symbol is
> a subtype of function, the reverse is not true.
> Some functions are not symbols. Therefore, the
> Lyskoff Substitution Principle tells us that
>
>    (put #'upcase-region 'disabled nil)
>
> is a gross error. It should be:
>
>    (put 'upcase-region 'disabled nil)

I'm not going to use this at all. I don't see the
benefit of it because if I misspell a function, I will
realize that immediately as the keystroke or otherwise
invocation won't work. Besides I don't want to stop
and think if I should but the sharp sign there or not.
I never did and it always worked. Part of the
pleasure with Lisp is not thinking like a computer,
but like a man, and this poor man's typing is a step
away from that while not offering any benefits what
I can see. The OP presented it as something you should
definitely do but the subsequent discussion hasn't
showed that by far, and even he himself couldn't say
why you should bother.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573