Re: How to quote a list of functions?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to quote a list of functions?
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 03:40:52 +0200

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
writes:

> put doesn't take functions and neither does it take
> function designators.

But it does accept functions, as that piece of code
shows, so the sharp quote syntax is even more
confusing/tedious/error-prone as it separates
functions from symbols, only that shouldn't always be
done, as it depends on the function that gets the
symbols (or functions as symbols) as well!

It is very much to think about compared to just
typing:

    ;; enable commands
    (put 'upcase-region    'disabled   nil)
    (put 'downcase-region  'disabled   nil)
    (put 'erase-buffer     'disabled   nil)
    (put 'suspend-frame    'disabled   t  )

Here, everyone immediately understands that
`upcase-region' is a function and that isn't disabled
anymore. The special syntax for functions, which
shouldn't even be used, would, if used, not clarify
that one bit in my eyes/fingers.

> The thing is that the implementation of those
> "notions" or "data abstractions" that are _symbols_,
> _functions_ and _function designator_ can, did, and
> will change, across time and space (space being
> different lisp implementations).
>
> On the other hand, the "functional abstractions"
> such as put don't change.

I never worry what will happen. When it does, I'll
make it work, then. People always tells me my code
will break, but it never did. Or maybe it did and
I fixed it, I don't know.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573