Re: How to quote a list of functions?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to quote a list of functions?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 02:52:48 +0200

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> No it doesn't. It looks like it does, but only
> because sharp-quote just returns the symbol in Emacs
> Lisp, not a function.

OK.

> The problem is that sharp-quote is just syntactic
> sugar in Elisp, it doesn't actually do anything
> different from quote.

This makes it confusing to use.

> You don't disable functions, you disable *commands*,
> and commands are denoted using symbols.

And the symbols look the same as the function's names?

And commands are functions, only those "interactive"
(in Emacs lingo)?

So where does that leave functions? And when (and why)
are they refered to "as such", i.e. not using symbols
to denote them?

If there are two different syntaxes those should
indicate two different things and there should be
a rule that can be expressed in one sentence when each
should be used.

Even so, I don't see why this should be dealt with on
the code-level at all. Why not just refer to functions
by name and then have the functions that accepts them
(the names) sometimes deal with those as symbols
denoting commands, sometimes functions (?), and so on,
and not bother me with it? And interestingly, that is
exactly how it has been and there were never any
troubles until I read here I can't do that.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573