From Gnus to mu4e

From: Julien Cubizolles
Subject: From Gnus to mu4e
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 23:23:36 +0200

I'm considering moving from Gnus to mu4e, mostly because I spend too
much time tinkering with settings I don't really understand/need in
Gnus, and because the search feature seems promising. If some of you
have already made such a move, or are just happy users of mu4e, I'd
appreciate your input on the following issues.

* Can OfflineImap or whatever imap sync tool used exclude some folders
  in the main Maildir folder from being synced to the IMAP server ? I'd
  like to be able to archive some old mail without it being sent to
  Gmail.

* I'm using gmane to read a lot of mailing lists. I guess there's no way
  to do that with mu4e and I'm considering sticking with Gnus for that
  use. Does that seem like a reasonable solution ?

* Can mu4e use the Gmail labels for search queries ?

* If a message is tagged with several labels on Gmail, does it appear in
  several folders in the local repository ? On a related note, if one
  were to move a message from a folder in a repository synced with Gmail
  to another folder not synced (for archiving purposes), I guess the
  message would remain at least in the [Gmail]/All Mail folder. Is there
  an easy way to remove it altogether from Gmail ?

* Finally, the mailing list for mu4e doesn't seem very active
  (especially when you compare it to the one for gnus). Are there any
  other channels to get some help ?

Thanks for your input.

Julien.