Re: What license to use for Emacs libraries?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: What license to use for Emacs libraries?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 15:12:07 +0100

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:
>> In the UK, I believe that the term "public domain" has much meaning wrt
>> copyright as "fair use" or indeed the term "Jeremy Clarkson": i.e. none
>> at all.
>
> I didn't know that.  What's the problem specifically?

Public domain I am not sure. The term is in wide use (see for example
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/copyright-and-the-value-of-the-public-domain).
Interestingly, though, it applies to neither The King James Bible nor
Peter Pan. How wierd is that.

"Fair use" has an equivalent ("fair dealing"). Similar to US fair use
but not the same.

Phil