Re: tramp mode locale for dir listings

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: Re: tramp mode locale for dir listings
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 18:33:54 -0500

Javier <nospam@nospam.com> writes:

> How are you customizing the sorting?  The default is aphabetized as
> though the initial dot of dotfiles didn't exist.
>
> Are you using .dir-locals.el files to customize the sorting in the
> browsed directory or in its parent dirs?  Looking for those files is
> diabled in tramp for the sake of performance since looking for them in
> all the parent dirs would be too slow.
>
> (info "(emacs) Directory Variables")
>
>   Emacs searches for `.dir-locals.el' starting in the
>   directory of the visited file, and moving up the directory tree.  To
>   avoid slowdown, this search is skipped for remote files.  If needed,
>   the search can be extended for remote files by setting the variable
>   `enable-remote-dir-locals' to `t'.

I've made no deliberate configurations anywhere in Emacs to set my
locale, so any deviations from default behavior are not being caused by
anything I'm aware of.

My .bashrc does set LC_COLLATE=C, but I don't know if Dired absorbs
environment from your .bashrc or not.  For what it's worth, I also have
the same LC_COLLATE=C in most of the remote machines I use, but I'm not
getting that effect when I'm in Tramp.

Basically, I'd like to get LC_COLLATE=C behavior everywhere.  Is Dired
affected by environment setup in .bashrc?  Is Tramp?  .bashrc is the
only place I have any locale settings that I know of.

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent