Re: From Gnus to mu4e

From: Julien Cubizolles
Subject: Re: From Gnus to mu4e
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 09:22:26 +0200

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:
>
>> I'm considering moving from Gnus to mu4e, mostly because I spend too
>> much time tinkering with settings I don't really understand/need in
>> Gnus, and because the search feature seems promising.
>
> After a *lot* of scratching and testing, here is my setup:
>
> - Gnus for news and mails: because there are too many things I miss in
>   other MUA.  A simple example: quote only the selected region when
>   replying.  This cannot be implemented easily in mu and notmuch.
>
> - notmuch as a search engine: mu is really great (I used it the last
>   three months) but I cannot get used to mu4e.  And starting mu4e with
>   a database of 100K emails takes two or three seconds.
>
> - mbsync to sync imap folders as local maildirs: I used offlineimap
>   for several years and mbsync is just faster.

That seems very interesting, and I think I'll try to set it
up. offlineimap or mbsync seems to be the right way to:
  + have a fast access to my mail (nnimap from Gnus on a remote server
  is a bit slow sometimes)

  + have a complete access from my mobile phone

  + I can still choose whatever MUA I want on top of that if I want to
  try something else thant Gnus and still access my old nnml mail.

I have a few questions about some details of your setup:

  + regarding filtering and spam detection, do you rely on the
  possibilities offered by you mail provider (Gmail or other)?

  + you said you're running Dovecot. Gnus could also directly access the
  local maildir without a local imap server the way mu4e does, couldn't
  it ? What's the benefit of running it ?

> - postfix with smtp_sender_dependent_authentication to use various
>   smtp servers depending on the email I'm using.  I see people use
>   msmtp and msmtp-mta, which I tried for a while, but I'm just too
>   impatient with the .3s you have to wait when sending.

  From looking at my fossilized .gnus.el, I'm using smtpmail, which
  would be equivalent to msmtp.

  + I'm gonna need to duplicate this setup on two machines (laptop and
  desktop). I guess running offline imap on the two machines and
  synchronizing the nnml, nnarchive mail by unison would work.

Thanks a lot for all this information. I've a much clearer idea of all
the possibilities now.

Julien.