Re: no echo in python mode

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: no echo in python mode
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:20:49 -0700

> 1). emacs -Q tmp.py
> 2). In tmp.py buffer:
> a = 3 + 1
> print a
>
> 3). C-c C-c which runs `python-shell-send-buffer`
> 4). Mini-buffer prompts: Run Python: /usr/bin/python -i
>       Make dedicated process?(y or n) --- y
>       Mini-buffer prompts: sent-eldoc-setup-code
> 5). This is what is shown in the python shell buffer:

> Python 2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 22:59:56)
> [GCC 4.8.2] on linux2

> Note that the command executed is not shown but only the result.  Is it the
> correct behavior? No echoing seems strange to me. Can I make the python
> shell buffer echo whatever commands sent to it?

Yes, that's the correct behavior. The shell prints the output but not
the input, as usual - the only difference is that in this case you type
the input into a `python-mode` buffer rather than an
`inferior-python-mode' buffer.

It seems like it should be possible to create a command that does what
you were expecting (take the text from the Python buffer, insert it into
the REPL buffer, and then `comint-send-input'), but AFAIK such a command
doesn't exist by default.

--
john