Re: Alt Putty

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Alt Putty
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 20:13:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 1:17:09 AM UTC+5:30, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Rusi wrote:
> > By which I mean that there must be some putty setting to make Alt behave
> > like
> > well like Alt :-).
> > google was not much helpful
>
> Works for me.  Using putty.exe and emacs in the standard text console
> mode and Alt works like Meta by default.  It does this by prefixing
> the key with ESC.  That is Alt-x on the putty.exe keyboard produces
> "ESC x" sent over the serial data stream.  This can be easily seen by
> typing into 'od -tx1 -c' (finish with C-d eof) and looking at the
> data.  Command line applications such as bash and emacs interpret "ESC
> x" as M-x and behave appropriately.
>
> I looked over my putty.exe configuration dialog screens but didn't see
> an explicit option to enable or disable this.  I know I have not done
> anything specific in this regard.  It is a feature I use almost every
> time I have ever used putty.exe and I have never needed to configure
> it explicitly.  It has always worked by default.
>
> Therefore I conclude that it must be something in your environment
> that is *preventing* this from working.  I'd say it works for other
> people.  You will need to debug your environment and see why it
> doesn't work for you.
>
> Bob

Looking at things like:
http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/putty-configuration/

I gather I need to set up a suitable terminfo (on server):

# apt-get install ncurses-term

And then set the $TERM to putty (not the default xterm) on the putty side

[Not on office-machines now so just talk ATM]

Right now tried opening an xterm and typing Alt-x
I get  this (captured with emacs -nw)

             position: 1 of 1 (0%), column: 0
            character: ø (displayed as ø) (codepoint 248, #o370, #xf8)
    preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0xF8
               script: latin
               syntax: w        which means: word
             category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), h:Korean, j:Japanese,
l:Latin
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #xC3 #xB8
            file code: #xC3 #xB8 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: terminal code #xC3 #xB8

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH STROKE
  old-name: LATIN SMALL LETTER O SLASH
  general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
  decomposition: (248) ('ø')

There is an overlay here:
 From 1 to 1
  face                 highlight