Re: Why (eval-when-compile (require 'foo)) does not bind functions durin

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Why (eval-when-compile (require 'foo)) does not bind functions during compilation?
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 15:18:13 -0400

In article <874mjhdyu8.fsf@kuiper.lan.informatimago.com>,
 "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:

> Your mental model should be that compilation is reading data and
> producing data, and there's no reason for that process to modify the
> compiler.

That basic model applies to most languages, but Lisp is a little
different. The very existence of eval-when-compile means that the
compiler itself is programmable. Lisp allows reflection and
self-reference like this.

And once you allow that, the OP's question becomes very meaningful.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA