Re: How specify on the command line which .emacs to use?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How specify on the command line which .emacs to use?
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 05:41:02 +0300

> Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 19:02:53 -0700 (PDT)
> From: BobD <daycandle@gmail.com>
>
> Is there a way I can specify on the command line which .emacs file to use?
>
> I am now using this command line: runemacs.exe -q -l /Directory/.emacs
> The "-q" means not to use a .emacs file.  The "-l" loads the named file.
> But the "-q" suppresses saving customizations.
>
> I'd like something like this: runemacs.exe -dotemacsfile /Directory/.emacs

Since you are on Windows, the easiest would be to point the HOME
environment variable to the directory where you want to have the
.emacs file.

If that doesn't fix your problem, please tell more about the reason
you need this.

Just FYI: loading .emacs via the -l switch does not have the same
effect as loading .emacs "normally", when Emacs finds it during
startup, because some things you can put in .emacs are only effective
during startup.