Re: How specify on the command line which .emacs to use?

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: How specify on the command line which .emacs to use?
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2015 10:17:20 +0200

> BobD <daycandle@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a way I can specify on the command line
>> which .emacs file to use?
>
> emacs(1) says:
>
>     -u user, --user user
>             Load user's init file.
>
>> I am now using this command line: runemacs.exe -q -l
>> /Directory/.emacs The "-q" means not to use a .emacs
>> file. The "-l" loads the named file. But the "-q"
>> suppresses saving customizations.
>
> Don't use customize, instead edit the .emacs file(s)
> by hand using any text editor around - why not
> Emacs itself?

Agreed. But sometimes it is necessary to use customizations (or much
easier, or di=one without my knowledge,...).

So I have the following as the last statement in my .emacs file:

,----
| * Load customizations
| Load customizations done through the Customization interface in emacs.
| New customizations will be stored in this file.
| #+begin_src emacs-lisp
|   (setq custom-file "~/.emacs.d/customfile.el")
|   (load custom-file)
| #+end_src
`----

This should load the customizations, even when using the -q approach
mentioned. And the customizations are in their own file.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug