google-translate (was: Re: Is it possible to transform text before feedi

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: google-translate (was: Re: Is it possible to transform text before feeding it to ispell?)
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 00:40:06 +0200

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> i don't know about ready-made solutions for this,
> but perhaps something could be built around the
> `google-translate` package that's available from
> MELPA and Marmalade?

I have used that from the shell for some time but for
whatever reason it stopped working recently, so thank
you for this. I had to write this -

(require 'w3m-unisearch)

(defun swedish-to-english (&optional text)
  (interactive)
  (let ((text (get-search-string "ord")))
    (google-translate-translate "Swedish" "English" text 'kill-ring)
    (let ((translation (string-make-unibyte (current-kill 0 t))))
      (message "%s: %s" text translation) )))

(defalias 'sv 'swedish-to-english)

- to get the DWIM region/word-at-point/just-type
interface I also have for w3m Google searches (and
more); for the above to work, get it here:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/w3m/w3m-unisearch.el

But it seems I found a bug already. Try this line:

    (google-translate-translate "Swedish" "English" "i")

It gives an error, even tho such short words are
common in many languages and are likely to be
translated now and then.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573