beep makes no sound on xfce

From: Joe Riel
Subject: beep makes no sound on xfce
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 21:25:27 -0700

Recently the Emacs beep command quit working; it no longer produces a
beep.  Any idea how I can figure out how to restore it?  I believe
this happened once before, a few years ago.

I'm on xfce4, on Debian.  I brought up the xfce4-mixer and turned on
every playback device and moved all the volumes to max.

The shell beep command works.  I continue to get sound from other
sources.  But not emacs.  Any pointers as to where I should be
looking (listening)?

--
Joe Riel