Re: What is the difference between C-g and M-x keyboard-quit?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: What is the difference between C-g and M-x keyboard-quit?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 01:11:36 -0600

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> there /must/ be some difference, since C-g beeps and M-x keyboard-quit
> does not.  What is the reason for that?  What is exactly the difference?

For me M-x keyboard-quit beeps identically to C-g.  I wonder why your
M-x keyboard-quit does not beep?

Here is some trivia.  If you run emacs in a terminal and then send
that terminal emacs the INT signal 2 then it will beep and report
"Quit" in minibuffer just the same as C-g.  C-g is really just the
same as a tty interrupt.  I am specific about in a terminal because an
X graphics emacs receiving signal 2 INT exits.

Bob