Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 21:05:30 +0200

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes that is so
> I tried again with --depth 1 (shallow clone)
> Shallow emacs 262M
> Full clone 441M
>
> In particular
> shallow emacs' .git 38M
> Full emacs .git 228M
>
> Most important it was some 2 hours yesterday with full and less than ½ with
> shallow
>
> So people setting out to build their own should probably be recommended to
> use --depth 1 ??

No, unless they have no intention of helping Emacs hackers to
troubleshoot regressions. When you wish to check some past revisions to
find the point where a bug was introduced, having the full history
locally is an advantage.

Moreover, let's suppose that you build your Emacs and it turns to be
unusable or faulty for your workflow due to some ongoing changes. With
the full history, going back to find a stable development point is much
easier.