Problem with setting default-directory for shell buffer

From: rodman
Subject: Problem with setting default-directory for shell buffer
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 16:58:48 -0700 (PDT)

Every N years I seem to need to flip between xemacs and emacs.

Now I'm back on emacs..love the nfs free setup and just
doing

require 'google

etc. Whoever-all made that happen, thanks a bunch!

My problem:

I use a python program to implement a set of 'directory marks'
The program is really simple and it works in concert with this bash function:

function ccd {
    eval `~/git/py/cd_marks.py $1 $2 `;
    emacsclient --eval "(cd \"`pwd`\")" >&/dev/null;
}

so I say stuff like

ccd foo

in a shell, and if I then do a find-file in that buffer the directory
shows up properly. (i.e. the shell pwd is "tracked" whenever I use the ccd
command)

I have tried of ton of ideas but nothing works.

Thanks in advance
paul