Re: One-off history for read-string

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: One-off history for read-string
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 02:34:50 +0200

> (I'm working on a client for certain web service,
> and the history is kept on the server, so it really
> doesn't make sense to keep all those in my
> Emacs session.)

Perhaps not (?), but why think of this at all?
What problem is it, that you experience, or what
behavior do you seek?

> Is it fine to use a temporary, let-bound variable
> name as the HISTORY parameter, or is there a better
> way for a "history" I only need to read from, not to
> write to?

If you consider the prototype

    (read-string PROMPT &optional INITIAL-INPUT HISTORY
    DEFAULT-VALUE INHERIT-INPUT-METHOD)

you see that the HISTORY argument is optional - you
don't need to have anything there, and if you want to
pass something to subsequent optional arguments, pass
nil as HISTORY.

You can see an example of using `read-string' like
this here:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/w3m/w3m-unisearch.el

on line 116.

--