Re: kill-region without modifying the kill ring

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: kill-region without modifying the kill ring
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:30:09 -0500

On 9/25/2015 7:49 AM, Jim Newton wrote:

delete-region is advertised to do that, but a quick test
in my case seems to do the same as kill. I haven't the time
now to debug that, might just be an idiosyncracy of my
less-than-organized .emacs

After a quick test, it seems delete-region does what I want.  It doesn't seem
to have a standard bind key.

It would slow things down to have one, and waste a keychord. In order to invoke delete-region you first need to define a region. Once that's done, either the delete or backspace key will delete it. With a split space keyboard the backspace key (left of split) is more accessible than any key combo whatever.

Ed