Re: kill-region without modifying the kill ring

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: kill-region without modifying the kill ring
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:37:22 -0400

In article <mailman.1812.1443195492.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) wrote:

> Barry Margolin writes:
>
> > Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo writes:

> >> Doesn't selecting the text and using <backspace> do exactly
> >> that?
> >
> > I just tried it, and C-y recovered the deleted text. So it does
> > put it  on the kill-ring.
>
> No, I think you are wrong. delete-backward-char (bound to
> <backspace>) doesn't put the text in the kill ring. At least not
> by default, try it with emacs -Q

You're right, it was due to some customization, I had <backspace> bound
to a different function that sets killflag if there's a region.

Once I reverted the binding to normal, I also had to turn on
delete-selection-mode to make it delete the region rather than a single
character.

I use Carbon Emacs 22 on OS X, I'm not sure how I would start it with
options like -Q.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA