Re: alist-get in Emacs 24?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: alist-get in Emacs 24?
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 09:34:15 +0200

> I will probably just write functions like set-alist-element and
> inc-alist-element (or maybe I'll name them better) so that the library
> works in Emacs 24, but is there a better way?

There was assoc.el in prior Emacsen (and it's still lying around in
lisp/obsolete).  `aput' is its setter for alists.  Works great, but is
obsolete.

A different approach is to use `assoc', `delq' and `push', i.e., do it
by hand.

> Also, what would be the recommended policy for supporting older Emacsen?
> Is it enough to test my packages against 24.1 (which didn't compile on
> my machine anyway, btw)?  Should I care for Emacs 23 at all?

That's your choice.  There are lots of third party packages that only
support the current minor release and maybe some before that.  Others
support much older releases.

Support of old releases is nice for people that have to use the Emacs
version they find at their computer at work.  In your case, if you don't
even know those older releases much, I would not care too much about it.

Michael.