Re: [EXT] Emacs >24.5 hangs on yank()

From: bbenedetto
Subject: Re: [EXT] Emacs >24.5 hangs on yank()
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:27:56 -0400

>>> Sebastian Fischmeister writes:

 Sebastian> Hi,
 Sebastian>
 Sebastian> Every since the upgrade to 24.5 (also on 24.5.1),
 Sebastian> after a while of using emacs, it hangs when I want to
 Sebastian> paste some text using yank(). Sometimes Emacs
 Sebastian> recovers after a timeout but sometimes it is stuck
 Sebastian> forever; C-g does not help.
 Sebastian>
 Sebastian> If Emacs recovers, every subsequent yank will also
 Sebastian> cause the same behaviour. Quitting my clipboard
 Sebastian> manager has no effect. Setting
 Sebastian> x-select-enable-primary and x-select-enable-clipboard
 Sebastian> to nil helps, but only if I start emacs with it and
 Sebastian> not once the problem is occurring.
 Sebastian>
 Sebastian> Emcas 24.4 does not have this problem.
 Sebastian>
 Sebastian> When running strace on the PID while emacs hangs, it
 Sebastian> produces a lot of brk() followed by a couple of
 Sebastian> recvmsg() with '-1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
 Sebastian> unavailable)'.
 Sebastian>
 Sebastian> When quitting emacs, it briefly hangs with the
 Sebastian> message that it is syncing with the clipboard
 Sebastian> manager.
 Sebastian>
 Sebastian> Sometimes, I also get this message:
 Sebastian> "x-dnd-handle-xdnd: Timed out waiting for reply from
 Sebastian> selection owner".
 Sebastian>
 Sebastian> Any ideas what is going on? At the moment I have to
 Sebastian> restart emacs about every two hours because of this.
 Sebastian>
 Sebastian> Thanks,
 Sebastian>   Sebastian
 Sebastian>

Huh!  I've been seeing this same problem on 24.4.1 and figured it
was just me.

Everything works fine for a while.  Then at some point I'll yank
in something from the X clipboard and it hangs.  C-g does work
for me - eventually.  And it appears to me that normal yanks DO
work at that point - just not yanking from the X clipboard.
(I'll have to verify that last point..)

When yank'ing-the-clipboard starts failing, I just give up on
that Emacs and start a new one.  I've never looked for nor seen
any errors at exit.  But I start Emacs from a menu so any errors
that might be in a console are thrown away.

I have no answers - just an observation that I'm seeing the same issue.

--
- Bill