Re: List of evil ex commands?

From: Kendall Shaw
Subject: Re: List of evil ex commands?
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 16:31:44 -0700

On 10/31/2015 03:23 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Kendall Shaw wrote:
The command :ex is what I have been using in vi since 1982. In vi it
switches to ex (the line editor that came after ed) mode.
What vi program are you using?

I am using 'nvi' because it is the closest to the original BSD vi
program that is available by free(dom) license.  There if I start nvi
as 'ex' then I am in ex mode.  Typing in 'vi' (the ':' is already
there in ex mode) then I enter visual mode.  But in nvi visual mode
typing in ":ex" does not turn off visual mode.  Typing in ":" does
however allow me to type in any ex command.  This is sufficient for
me.  Supposedly in nvi the Q command exits visual mode and returns to
ex mode but for whatever reason for me it says the Q command is
unknown.  This has never bothered me enough to pursue it further.  I
assume it is simply a bug in the nvi implementation.  It hasn't been
getting much love lately.

Sorry, I am conflating some things. My train of thought was that it's called ex because it switched/switches to ex mode in vi that was on either Ultrix, Berkeley Unix or SunOS 4.x. But, :ex filename loaded a file and so that was what muscle memory has been using.

I've been using vim in some form on linux for a long time and nvi on openbsd just because it is what is/was installed by default.

Kendall